23 Health Benefits of Bananas
Think we’re going bananas? We sure are! This humble yellow fruit is not only a delicious treat to curb those sweet cravings, but it’s jam-packed with health benefits! Don’t believe us? Well, let’s take a look. Trust us, you’re never going to look at a banana in the same way again.
Why are we going bananas for bananas?
When thinking about this vibrant yellow fruit, you may initially think of monkeys, or the minions, or even bananas in pyjamas (if you ever watched the show as a child, you’ll know what we’re talking about!).
But beyond all the cliches it turns out that the humble banana contains several essential nutrients to provide many mind, body, and beauty benefits. From fueling you through a workout to helping you feel less stressed, it does it all.
Banana’s nutrition value
Apart from its fun, bright yellow colour — and being deliciously soft and sweet — bananas are nutritious and full of antioxidants. They’re a great source of:
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
One serve of a medium-sized banana provides your body with about 110 calories, 0 grams of fat, 1 gram of protein, 28 grams of carbohydrates, 15 grams of naturally occurring sugar, 3 grams of fibre, and 450 mg potassium. Talk about being nutritious!
You can read about the amazing nutrition in bananas in our review of the calories in bananas.
How can your body benefit from bananas?
So, now we know that the humble banana packs a punch when it comes to nutrition, you may be wondering how this nutritious fruit can benefit your health and the health of your family.
Without further ado, here’s a quick list of banana health benefits. Be prepared to be amazed!
- Fuel for your workout: Say bye to those sugar-heavy energy drinks and say hello to bananas. With their combination of antioxidants, fibre, potassium, and vitamin B6, you’re one peel away from a power-packed workout.
- Helps ease muscle cramps: Leg cramps slowing you down? Reach for a potassium-rich banana.
- Support regular bowel movements: Feeling constipated? Eat a banana. The high fibre and potassium content help improve the movement of food through the digestive tract, allowing for regular bowel movements.
- Helps you feel full for longer: The resistant starch and pectin found in bananas offers appetite-reducing effects that help you feel fuller, longer.
- Happy, healthy heart: Bananas are a significant dietary source of potassium and magnesium, helping reduce blood pressure and lower the risk of heart disease.
- Great for stress relief: Thanks to vitamin B6, which can trigger feel-good serotonin, you’ll be feeling mellow yellow in no time.
- Keeps your blood sugar levels in check: Both pectin and resistant starch may help moderate blood sugar levels after a meal. Further, they also rank low on the glycemic index (GI).
- Aids in weight loss: We mentioned earlier that resistant starch and pectin offer appetite-reducing benefits. Along with these, other properties of bananas make them a weight-loss-friendly food. Let’s not forget the low number of calories found in each fruit.
- Relief from symptoms of anemia: Bananas contain high levels of iron and can therefore aid in the treatment of anemia. At the same time, their copper content assists with the creation of red blood cells, further increasing circulation and helping to prevent anemia.
- Strengthens your bones: Bananas are linked to increased calcium absorption, which is important for the production and regrowth of bone matter.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Compounds found within bananas offer anti-inflammatory benefits that can help reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Rich in antioxidants: With powerful antioxidants such as dopamine and catechins, this brightly coloured fruit will help protect you from free radicals and reduce the risk of degenerative illnesses.
- Helps improve your vision: With a healthy mix of antioxidants, carotenoids, and minerals, bananas can seriously help boost the health of your eyes.
- Boosts your immune system: Being rich in antioxidants, it’s no surprise that this super fruit can help support the immune system and reduce tissue damage and other bodily stressors.
- Helps prevent kidney disorders: Potassium and antioxidants come to the rescue again as they help ease strain on the kidneys and assist with urination so you can say goodbye to those toxins!
- Cool down with a banana: Have summer days got you feeling hot and sweaty? Or maybe you’re suffering with a fever? Eat a banana. As bright and warm as this yellow fruit looks, it can help lower your body temperature and cool you down when you most need to.
- Beautiful skin, every day: Magical manganese within bananas helps support the production of collagen and protects your skin from free radical damage.
- Aids with better sleep: Peel one before you go to bed to get a good night sleep. The potassium and magnesium in bananas can help relax muscles and promote better sleep.
- Healthy digestive system: Bananas are an excellent source of prebiotics that act as good food for the gut bacteria that can lead to better gastrointestinal health.
- A natural way to detox: The pectin in bananas makes them an all-natural detox food. This gelatin-like fibre can stick to toxic compounds in the blood, flushing them out of the body through the urine.
- Reduces cholesterol: Been binging on fried food recently? Reach for a banana, as they contain cholesterol-lowering compounds and vitamin B6 (which is important for nearly everything related to your health).
- Enhances brain health: Improve your cognitive function with this vitamin B6-rich fruit. Studies have also shown that the potassium in bananas can also help cut the risk of having a stroke in old age.
- Relieves menstrual pain: The potassium found in bananas can act as a muscle relaxant and help relax the uterine muscles during periods.
As you can see, there are many benefits to consuming this humble fruit. But before you go packing a trolley full of bananas, it’s important to know — when eating bananas as part of a healthy, balanced diet — it’s recommended that you consume no more than 1-2 per day (or 2-3 per week, if you’re diabetic, though always consult your doctor for nutrition guidance in this case).
But what if you’re excited by the health benefits bananas can provide, but you have a fussy eater in the family. Not to worry, we’ve got you covered! Read on to discover other ways to incorporate this vibrantly healthy fruit into your diet.
Banana bread for everybody
Did someone say banana bread?! You heard right! We, the Spotty gang, are lovingly sharing our most loved premium banana bread mixes with you. Whether you like to indulge in one alone with your tea or coffee or share it with friends. Our mixes are made to be enjoyed. They’re also a great way to include fruit in your children’s diet.
With minimal equipment required you’ll be able to whip up and enjoy a nutritiously healthy banana bread in no time.
Catering for dietary requirements
We understand that catering to different dietary requirements can be a huge task. That’s why Spotty offers four core baking mixes.
With all these options you’ll never leave a friend or a family member without a deliciously yummy slice of banana bread. After all, nobody should miss out on banana bread!
With Spotty, we only use premium Australian ingredients from sources you can trust, guaranteeing a consistent outcome in taste and texture every time. Rest assured that the food you eat and share with family and friends is not only nutritious but is also of the best quality.
Ready to get baking and sharing?
Mmmm… smell that? That’s the smell of freshly baked banana bread! Is your mouth watering yet? Head on over to our online shop, purchase your mix, whip it up in a jiffy, and start indulging in this sweet and healthful fruit today.
Once you’re done, why not take a quick photo and share your masterpiece with us? Simply email it to firstname.lastname@example.org and if you’re happy to share your banana bread with the world, we’ll even drop it onto our Instagram feed.
We’re here for you
In the meantime, contact our team on email ay email@example.com if you have questions regarding any of our products or ingredients.
Or, for more yummy updates, tips, and recipe suggestions, follow us on Instagram.